There are a number of other German groups (for adults and families) in Canberra.
Clubs and Choirs
- Harmonie German Club – Club entertainment, restaurant, function rooms
- Harmonie Choir Canberra – Adult choir singing in German and English
- Canberra Swiss Club – Social contacts amongst the Swiss community
- Canberra Swiss Choir – Singing in Switzerland’s national languages
- Austrian Australian Club and Choir, Canberra – Keeping Austrian tradition alive
Das Zentrum Australian-German Institute Inc. – Library, information centre and meeting place
German Social Clubs
The Deutscher Stammtisch meets monthly.
The Deutsche Damen Dinner group meet monthly.
The German Buchklub meet to discuss great books.
Deutsche in Canberra have a group on Facebook.
ANU German Society are also on Facebook.
- We are starting at German Immersion Primary School
- ACT German Language School – German classes for children and adults
- List of languages in schools in Canberra
- ANU German Studies Program – Teaching and research at university level
- ACT German Teachers’ Network – Provides professional development to teachers
On the Radio
- CMS Community Radio – Radio program in German
- SBS Radio German – Radio program in German
- You can of course stream German radio over the internet.
New to Canberra?
Check out our page of hints and tips for getting all the good German stuff here in Canberra!
Download a good looking contact list of the German-speaking groups in Canberra. Or click on the links below.
Canberra German Speakers’ Network (CGN)
“durch Deutsch dabei”
In an age of rapid technological advances, the world has become a smaller place. Distances have shrunk, time has gathered pace, and boundaries have shifted or disappeared altogether. More than ever it is important to know about other cultures and to speak foreign languages.
As Australia’s capital, Canberra is a city proud to be international. Its citizens and visitors alike have cultural and economic links to many parts of the world, among them the German-speaking regions of Europe. The German-speaking community of Australia dates back to the early 19th century and has made significant contributions to Australia’s multicultural heritage and economic prosperity.
The Canberra German Speakers’ Network (CGN) is a voluntary cooperative of independent organisations, institutions and initiatives in the Australian Capital Territory that focuses on promoting the language and culture of the German-speaking countries.
The objectives of the CGN are
- to facilitate the interchange of information for the benefit of members of all associated groups as well as the general public;
- to encourage support between organisations; and
- to coordinate any joint ventures.
The activities of the CGN are supported by the Embassies of Germany, Austria and Switzerland. The publication of this brochure has been funded by the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany.